Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New Year, New Books

Happy New Year! Yeah, I know I'm over a month late, but it is one of my goals this year to keep my blog updated. This morning I was contemplating what I could do to get myself motivated, or what I could write about. Then I remembered that I also have a goal to read one hundred new books this year. I thought I could do a Julie&Julia thing here. I'm going to try it, so here goes. I am going to blog about each new book I read. I am about 7 books behind at this moment. I will try to catch up. :)

Book 1: Inkheart
by Cornelia Funke
Finished January 10th


I got this book because I saw the movie. I saw the movie and enjoyed it. Like most movies written from books, I figured the book must be better. I will have to say, some parts of the movie played better for me then in the book. Although, in both the book and the movie, my favorite character is the little boy read out of From the Thousand and One Nights book, Farid. This book is fanciful and imaginative. It is a good book to read out loud to children. I think my nephew would love it. Hum, I should lend it to him. I do think he could relate to the martin. Mischievous.
How crazy exciting would it be to met the characters you have created. I think if I knew that could happen, I would try my darnedest to become an author. I don't know what kind of character I would want to come out of a book.

Book 2: Old Magic
by Marianne Curley
Finished January 18th

This book was an adventure. It took you though time and magic. It starts like a typical "I'm different" book. Outsider girl is drawn to new boy who displays a curious talent. The ideas inside are all magical; witches, curses, transformations, time travel, love, etc. It does talk of strong family ties and heritage. I bought this book as Amber's Christmas gift. It is not the kind of book I normally go for, but I thought, Why not? Pretty good. Definitely an Amber book.

Book 3: 'Till We Have Faces
by C.S. Lewis
Finished January 26th

I LOVED this book! As it says on the back of the cover, it is a myth retold. Which myth you say? The one with Psyche and Cupid. Although, sometimes it doesn't seem it, the story is full of all types of developing love. It reminds you of how selfish ones views can get when they are filled with misconceptions and misunderstandings. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I don't want to give too much away except that if you love mythology you will love this new twist on things. Well, not really new, but you will love it. I don't know what else to say, but read it.

2 comments:

Dana said...

KRYSTAL!!! I am so glad you're back!!!!

Natalie said...

now i want to read all of these! good plan to blog about the books you read and good luck. that's almost 10 books a month. do you have any requirements for book length or do picture books qualify?