Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Books on the Shelf

Book 8: As Simple as Snow
by Gregory Galloway
Finished  February 13th

I was recommend this book by one of my 8th graders.  She told me it was her favorite book and said I should read it.... before Thanksgiving.  I finally purchased it from my Christmas money, and got it in the mail.  I set to work reading it.  This book is full of mystery and oddities.  It is about a girl who moves into a small town, and starts writing obituarites about everyone who lives there.  It is told from the point of view of her new boyfriend, and town native, a character whose name is unknown.  The girl, Anna Cayne has a strange way to communicate, with letters of random information and things found on the street.  On the weekend of Valentine's Day, Anna disapears under mysterious circomestances and her boyfriend spends his time trying to figure out what happened and trying to communicate with Anna from the other side.  The book ends leavng questions unanswered, leaving the reader with a feeling of the unknown.  It was an entertaining book and an enjoyable read.

Book 9: Red Badge of Courage
by Stephan Crane
Finished February 20th

Finally buckled down and read this classic.  It has been hanging out on my shelf for about 3 years.  I can tell why this book is called a classic. Imagery, moral conflict, character building, and hero making filled story.  I liked that the title of the book just popped up on some random page before too much had happened.  I also enjoyed the fact that the hero is a flawed man.  I guess that is the point.  It is a coming of age book for during a war inflicted era.  Henry enlists as an optimistic teen boy, and through is journey with war and developing his character, becomes a man.  Definitely belongs on the classics to read list.

Book 10: The Outsiders of 19 Schuyler Place
by E.L. Konigsburg
Finished February 21st

I loved this book!  The underdog rallies to save the day! Or in this case, the towers her uncles built.  This girl, Margaret Rose Kane is left at a summer camp, and rebels.  Her rebellion is to refuse to participate.  Her response to everything it "I prefer not to."  I love this response.  She also hums or sings "God Save the Queen" to make her statement. She gets kicked out of the camp, but in the process, becomes friends with the camp handyman.  That friendship blossoms (hehe) and helps Margaret save the towers.  This is a feel good, happy ending book.  Unlike the last two books (numbers 8 and 9).  Margaret engineers a committee of unexpected people to help overcome the snobish neighbors who want to disassemble the towers.  She even engages in a sit it passive protest.  Margaret Rose has all the makings of up and coming activist.  E.L. Konigsburg is one of my favorite children's writers, and I thoroughly enjoyed her writing style and story telling.  Everything from her character building to her foreshadowing, was witty and entertaining.  I don't want to give too much away as it is a read worth book, so I will end here.

one last randomly selected book....

Book 11: Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever
by James Patterson
Finished February 26th

So, I am not a fan of the serious books because I get so sucked in and can never get out.  I usually find that as the book number increases, the interest and storyline decreases.  This series, however, is not written this way.  I feel like the story was written, and then chunked for each book.  In other words, it is like one continuous story with the next chapter in the next book.  I enjoy the characters, and it is great to have a familiar feeling to them.  I did like that there was only about a paragraph of recap from the last book.  I hate drawn out retelling of the previous book.  Ek!  Anyway, I'm rambling.

The story continues with the flock of mutant bird-kids enrolling in school before they are discovered and have to flee.  The same enemies are here, with a few twists and still the same question of who is on the side to save the world.  A big of teen love drama is thrown in to stir things up and test the bonds of the flock.  As well as a short visit with crazy family.  Then end still leaves you questioning what will happen and leads you back to the shelf to pick up the next.  ( I don't have the next one, so we will see when I'll get to it).  It is a good old teen adventure.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

This entry isn't all that terrible, except that you definitely did not proofread/spellcheck. You are very good at summarizing a book without giving too much away. I always want to read the books after I read your reviews.