Sunday, November 23, 2008

Showing you the finger

Yesterday was our ward's turkey bowl. I picked up Natalie and Adam and we drove on over. We had an awesome Hawaiian lunch. Afterward, we split up for teams to play flag football. Natalie and Adam watched from the sidelines as I tried to win some fans with my playing.
On one such event, I was grabbing for Phil's flag and got his shirt instead. I looked down and realized that something wasn't right with my finger, so I walked off the field. Natalie asked me why I stopped playing and I told her that I broke my finger. Bishop was there and said I probably just dislocated it. After building up courage, I pulled my finger to relocate the joint. It didn't work. I could still feel the joint out of place. So.... we headed off to the hospital. On the way out Brother Sherrill asked me why I wasn't crying. I told him I have a high tolerance for pain. I was wrong. I could feel the pain because of the adrenaline. I felt, correction, feel the pain.


We got there and of course waited. Then I headed on back. Th nurse asked me a bunch of questions and then said that the doctor would look at my x-rays and then come talk to me. I informed her that I had not gotten x-rays yet. The doctor came in next. I guess there was some hold up at x-ray. He looked at my finger, then bent it. That hurt so so bad. I finally got x-rays and the nurse showed them to me on the computer. Then the doctor came and told me the bad news. I had indeed broken my finger. I had broken off the part of my bone that my tendon was connected to. This is why I could not bend my finger. He then informed me that to fix this I would have to have surgery. The first thing that popped in my head when he said this was "No Disneyland." For those of you who didn't know, I had planned on going to Disneyland for Thanksgiving. I almost started to cry. I love Disneyland and I wanted to go.

Believe it or not, it is even more purple and colorful
today.

So there you have it. After 26 years of a clean record, of no broken bones, it all comes to an end with this; My First Broken Bone. I do want to say that if Natalie and Adam were not there, I would have been a total wreck. They made me want to be more optimistic and happy at the outcome. I think I just didn't want to cry in front of them. Thanks for being there and sticking around. Adam even helped me with my jacket. And without Natalie, there would be not pictures of this event.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

OUCH! I hope you still get to go to Disneyland! Take care of our big ouchie

Nana said...

Sooooo...did you have the surgery? Inquiring minds want to know! Mickey will still be there at Disneyland when you get a chance to go. All you need is a bit of pixie dust!

Love, Sis. States

Unknown said...

No Disneyland for me this Thanksgiving. I did have surgery, yesterday. Just staying home this weekend and recoverying.